Sunday 6 July 2014

Quiet life for Day of Archaeology

The things are getting quiet at the Universities in Sweden. July is the traditional holiday month and last Friday was the last working day for many before the holidays. Some people are naturally digging or carrying out other types of fieldwork, since it is the best season.However, not me. I am still (wo)manning the Department - even if my holiday is to start soon with the end of the school term in England the coming week. However, I can look forward to be apparently the only person in our floor - unless my colleague studying pottery paintings happens to turn up. One other scholar will be working at home until August. I will have three full days of wandering about alone. I probably has to go to another floor in order to have company over lunch or coffee.

Not that I am idle. On the contrary. I have just realised how much I should do in three days. Basically work that will take two weeks. Somehow I fathom I have to do something in the evenings during my holiday. Sadly, an international journal will not wait for my article draft for peer-review, if I do not send it in in time. They will have other offers, if I do not deliver.

This has been the story of my life for some years now. Computer modelling, pottery drawing, writing, library visits and deadlines. This summer will go past like the previous ones. I probably could just repost my previous entry for the Day of Archaeology, since the content of my work seems to be the same... However, on the positive side, I do currently have a proper monthly salary and I am not working at home, but I have an office. Plus I will take part into a project. An upgrade that can naturally be downgraded again as is the story of postdocs everywhere.

However, there will be no Day of Archaeology posting for me this year. On that day I will hopefully get my tax return finally wrapped up - as you do as the first thing on your summer holiday. Since one child's last school day is the day to get anything serious done for weeks during the daytime.

No comments:

Post a Comment